All members are SCG stakeholders; there are no owners or paid staff for the SCG and our success depends on the contributions of the entire membership. All members are encouraged to contribute to the maintenance, general upkeep and well-being of our shared, cooperative, climbing gym facility.
Lead By Example! If something is in need of repair, cleaning, or general upkeep, and you are capable of completing the task, take it on! If you’re not capable or don’t know how, alert a member of the volunteer staff or board so that appropriate repairs etc may be arranged and completed.
THE SCG MEMBER CODE
- Everyone must have a completed waiver on file. Anyone under the age of 18 must have that waiver signed by a legal guardian.
- No drugs or alcohol is allowed in the gym unless it’s a gym-sponsored event.
- Climb within your ability.
- Double-check your knots and harness.
- Double-check your partner’s knots and harness.
- Never stand, sit, or lie down underneath the walls where someone could fall on you. Be careful when walking under walls. Be vigilant, and watch for climbers.
- Maintain a safe distance from other climbers while climbing. Never climb above, below, or near another climber.
- Beware of hazards, any sort of object on the ground can result in injury if fallen on. Move them before you climb.
- No sitting or lying down while belaying.
- No self-ascending or self-belaying.
- Members may not store or leave personal belongings at the gym.
- No food or drinks allowed within the climbing area (on the mat).
- Parents are responsible for their children at all times.
- Children are not allowed to “play” on the mat. Children may be in the climbing area only when climbing.
- The only shoes allowed on the mats are climbing shoes.
- Dogs and other animals are not allowed within the facility. No exceptions.
- All members must take personal responsibility for their actions and the actions of other members. As a member it is your duty to address other members that are:
- Bringing guests that do not fill out a liability waiver AND pay
- Acting in such way that may cause harm to themselves or others
- Mistreating the facility and/or equipment
- Not following this Member Code
- SCG members may bring guests to the gym to climb. Guests must sign a waiver, purchase a Guest Day Pass and pass applicable certification tests prior to climbing.
- Members are responsible for the safety of their guests, whether those guests are climbing or simply visiting/observing.
- If you are the last to leave the gym at any time of day, make sure the door is properly shut and locked and the lights and stereo are shut down.
- Beware of any route setting, or construction work, and steer clear of it.
Members receive a key fob to gain access to the gym. Access is strictly for the member and their paying guests (guests must be accompanied by the member at all times). Member access will be frequently audited by the board. Members who provide their key fob to others for unauthorized entry and use of the facility will have their membership immediately revoked (all fees paid to date will additionally be forfeited). Member access and use of the facility will be continuously monitored on-site (and remotely) via a video surveillance system.
- No weights, equipment, or other climbing related training tools may be brought to the gym without board approval.
- Members are required to bring their own lead ropes.
- Equipment donated to the SCG should be individually marked and may be removed at the owner’s discretion.
- All youth five years old, and older, must be paid members of SCG. Climbers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult or other member while using the facility.
- The board may vote to allow children under 16, but over 13, to have access during normal operating hours without an adult or other member present.
- A parent must sign waivers for any youth using the gym facilities.
All drugs and/or alcohol are prohibited on the SCG premises. Violation of this policy will result in immediate loss of membership. Members who are intoxicated or under the influence are not allowed to be within the facility or to climb.
Dry tooling will be allowed with the permission of the board, in identified areas. Crampons will not be allowed.